Direct Payments For Adults
THERE ARE TWO MAIN OPTIONS IF YOU WISH TO USE A DIRECT PAYMENT:
- Employ an agency to provide your care
- Employ your own carers directly.
There are also other options, depending on what has been included in your care plan, which our team can advise you on.
For either option you will need one of the following:
Pre-paid card will give you full control over spending the money, and you are responsible for making all payments to your service provider, PA’s, HMRC, insurance etc.
Managed payroll means you have no direct access to the money, but all bills, wages etc will be paid on your behalf by the payroll company who will send you regular accounts for your information.
If you choose to use an agency to provide your care you will need to keep invoices from the agency. PSiC has a list of a selection of agencies along with the rate they charge.
Many people choose to employ privately as it tends to give maximum continuity and flexibility, thus increasing their control and independence.
Employing privately means the following responsibilities;
- Tax and National Insurance - you will need to keep records that show that you have taken out employer liability insurance and that your employee is paying Tax and National Insurance. To do this you will need to use a payroll service. PSiC have our own payroll service or can help direct you to an external service.
- Liability insurance - PSiC also has the number of two insurance companies who will provide you with employers’ liability insurance. Camden Social Services will provide start-up costs towards these services plus any advertising you have to do. You will also need to have a contract and a job description. PSiC keeps standard versions of both which we can adjust to suit your needs.
- Health and safety - You are also bound by employment law when it comes to holidays, wage rates, discipline and dismissal. PSiC can advise on these matters, and will explain them fully in all start up meetings.
If you don’t know the person you want to employ, PSiC can help with advertising, shortlisting candidates and the interviewing process, including a room for interviews if requested. All the decisions will of course be yours.
- PSiC can help locate services, courses etc.
- You will need to keep invoices, receipts etc.
We are pleased to be able to give you access to our forms through our website, we can also deliver them to you if you contact us directly. All referrals should be returned to us by email.